Saturday, December 31, 2011

Speak your mind-About Disney Channel

I just wrote an email to both the Head of the Disney Channel, and to the CEO of Disney. I had to express my disgust at the programming on Disney Channel these days. So here is the context of that email. Feel free to write your own and send it to :
Disney Contact Information

Write the Head of Disney Channel!
Rich Ross,
President and Director of The Disney Channel.
500 S. Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521
Email: rich.ross@disney.com

Write Disney CEO, Robert Iger!
Robert A. Iger,
President and CEO of the Walt Disney Company
500 S. Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521
Email: robert.a.iger@disney.com

 I have a 5 year old and an 11 year old. Both are girls who are very smart, kind, and interested in a multitude of subjects from music, to space, to science, math, social studies, books, art etc. I am deeply disturbed by the shows you are currently airing on your channel for the above preschool age groups. You seem to take so much time developing shows for younger children that will help their minds grow and help them grow up to be good world citizens and care about others. I am so confused as to why all of a sudden when a child becomes to old for Disney Junior they are immediately ready for shows about teens. Where are the middle school shows, or the elementary shows for that matter? The only show that both my 5 and 10 year old can watch is Phineas and Ferb(why not more shows like this? ) My 5 year old is getting to old for Mickey Mouse Clubhouse but not old enough for shows like Good Luck Charlie, and Wizards of Waverly Place, Suite Life on Deck, Shake It Up, That's So Random etc. Furthermore, the characters in these shows are almost all the same. There are always a bunch of kids that act like they are completely ignorant, or their parents do(which is even worse in my opinion). Do you have children? Think about it. Would you like your children to talk about and treat you the way these characters do about their parents and teachers? I think probably not.The attitudes displayed in these shows are enough to make any parent sick. How can we expect children to respect adults that they come across if what they are being exposed to is the opposite? You above all people should know that what children are exposed to when they are young is what they will exhibit as they get older. ShouId they treat an employer the way teachers are treated in your shows? Would you appreciate that if they were your employee? I know so many parents who have blocked your channel because of your programming or who have limited viewing down to just Phineas and Ferb. Have you examined what kind of role models these characters are for children? Have you even paid attention? Where are the shows for preteens that have any intellectual value? Or shows about kids and nature? Or being world citizens? What about shows that teach kids about different places around the world? They need to know about their global community. It's no wonder kids don't care.  Kids are not stupid. They are not all the same. Please put some diversity into your programming so that my daughter, who is a straight A student, trumpet player, artist, crafter, poem writer, story creator, animal lover, and my 5 year old can enjoy and grow with Disney for many years to come. I appreciate you reading this and hope you will consider this.

 No I didn't send it in red ink. It is a little snippy, as I am very irritated about this whole thing. But I think people are to nice in these cases. I will also be printing this out and sending it via real mail as a friend of mine told me that because real mail is so uncommon, companies are more apt to read the real mail than the email. I hope that this prompts you to take action on something that is bothering you lately. Unless it is my blog. In that case, tough crap:)



No comments:

Post a Comment