Thursday, June 16, 2011

Revolutionary War fun and being intuitive!!

I am reading a book right now called Intuitive Healing. I'm not sure you can understand how freeing it is to feel like I can eat what I want and not think about the stuff in it. Instead I eat and constantly check to see if I am satisfied. When I am, I stop. I realize there will be more food if I need it, I won't starve, we aren't poor, there is food available. Even if I do eat a lot, like dinner tonight, I don't feel guilty, I don't feel like a total failure and I don't have to start planning how I can make up for it tomorrow. I feel lighter emotionally already!!

I am ridiculously proud of my daughters. I always am! However I am a major bragger right nwo and I can't help it. My 9 year old is in a program at her school that they can join in 4th grade. It's part of a living history program about the Revolutionary war. They spend 2 days a week after school from 3-5pm learning everythign there is to know about being a rev war soldier. It's incredible. Their teachers put in an immense amount of time and energy into this. The kids are required to complete their homework and behave well. They are not allowed to lose more than 25 merits throughout the year and towards the end it gets even harder. Once they enlist, if they miss a homework assignment, they lose  a merit. It is a demanding program, requiring discipline. My daughter is doing that on top of dance and trumpet and homework and has done an incredible job. She was chosen as Quartermaster, was chosen as a Corporal for their trip to Fort Stanwix and is the highest rank currently in the 4th grade(along with some others) she is a Sergeant Major. I could go on and on and on. But I thought I would share some pictures and the Youtube link to the program, so you can get an idea of what it's all about!!! You'll be jealous you didn't get to do it. I know I am.











Oh did I mention they learn to play fife and march in a parade? Did I mention they won Best in Show at the parade??? DID I MENTION!!!! They are going to be encamping at Newtown battlefield for a real life as a soldier night! They will march to camp, put up tents, collect firewood, do fatigue duties, patrol, and all that!! They will cook their own food! They will get up in the middle of the night for patrolling the camp! The next day they will do a reenactment of the battle of Newtown. CAN YOU TELL I'M WICKED PROUD and maybe  a LITTLE EXCITED about this program!?!?!?? DID I MENTION that the 4th grade teachers and the Teacher Assistant lead the program??????

Check out more here on the Youtube page for it. It's a great way to get kids really excited about history!

3rd NY

Also check out their performance in the Colonial days parade here!!
Colonial days Performance
Judges stand performance

1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of her too!!! You're right to be bragging on her, that's for sure. Oh, and I'm glad that the eating thing is working out for you too. I think it will work out really well!!

    ReplyDelete